lundi 12 septembre 2022

Around The World





















THE WEAVERS - FOLK SONGS AROUND THE WORLD - LP Decca

A1 - Around The World
A2 - Bay Of Mexico
A3 - I Know Where I'm Going - Hush Little Baby
A4 - The Frozen Logger
A5 - Darling Corey
A6 - Follow The Drinking Gourd
B1 - Tzena, Tzena, Tzena
B2 - Suliram
B3 - Sylvie (Bring Me A Little Water)
B4 - Greensleeves
B5 - Along The Colorado Trail
B6 - Hard Ain't It Hard

Vinyl rip

8 commentaires:

Hitparade a dit…

Dear Uncle Gill,
Thank you for this 1959 Weavers' album "Folk Songs Around The World". It says here that you ripped this album yourself. I am a long time collector of The Weavers (and everything else), but some how I missed this album. However, I was there transcribing The Charts when The Weavers were at the top of the charts.

What were your first memories and influences of recorded music, and what were the first records that you purchased?

Thanks again for posting this album, and all the music.

Uncle Gil a dit…

Dear Hitparade.
Thanks for this comment.
To anwer your question :
My first memory at the age of 9, is, when the older brother of a school boyfriend came back from the USA with the triple Elvis Presley EP (the one offered with the record player). The following Christmas, in 1960, my mother gave me the album "King Creole". Then I looked for the roots... Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, and some country-blues singers... It's not over :))

Hitparade a dit…

Uncle Gil,
I collect the roots also. How do I go about collecting The Warped Records Chronological Classics collection? Is there a private group that could help me; I would be happy to contribute, thanks.

Uncle Gil a dit…

Hitparade,
I don't know of any Warped groups. Since Harlan Taylor ceased activity, some have continued to made new compilations, but I don't have their contact details.
You can find almost all Warped (old & new) on this private forum
https://countrystyle.createaforum.com/index.php
You have to register.
Otherwise a "leecher" named CountryKlaus regularly posted here: https://canna-power.to/links.php
Good hunt

Hitparade a dit…

Uncle Gil,
I love the collections that you have posted, will you be posting more of The Armadillo Country 45s series and The King Project series? Would you consider talking more about your evolution as a collector and what your personal collection looks like? Thanks again for all the music.

Uncle Gil a dit…

Hitparade,
I will continue these two collections in the coming days.
And I will take the time to answer your questions. Give me some time.
Cordially.

Hitparade a dit…

Uncle Gil,
In The "Hillbilly Favorites Series" it seems
that there are only four active albums:
Vol. 01 - T. Texas Tyler
Vol. 02 - Jack Guthrie
Vol. 07 - Tennessee Slim
Vol. 08 - Jake Thomas
Could you please re-up the remaining albums?
Thank you, Hit Parade
(I Love The Old Hit Parade Charts :-)

Hitparade a dit…

Uncle Gil,

Welcome back, I was worried about you. As per above, you were going to tell me more about you becoming a collector and your music collection. Can I have your e-mail so that I can write to you directly.

On July 14, 1951, at age 13, I sat down in my mother's breakfast room, a
little room off the kitchen, and listened to and transcribed MARTIN BLOCK and
his MAKE BELIEVE BALLROOM radio program from WNEW in New York City. He was
the Number on DJ in the U.S., and his theme song was recorded by
Glenn Miller, it was played multiple times every day all through 1950s, and
you can hear it on YouTube. He used THE CASH BOX JUKE BOX chart because it
was the best music chart in the first half of the 1950s.

The TOP 10 SONGS on JULY 14, 1951

01 Too Young - Nat (King) Cole
02 Jezebel - Frankie Laine
03 Rose, Rose I Love You - Frankier Laine (bw 2)
04 How High The Moon - Les Paul & Mary Ford
05 My Truly, Truly Fair - Guy Mitchell
06 On Top Of Old Smoky - Terry Gilkyson & The Weavers
07 The Loveliest Night Of The Year - Mario Lanza
08 Mister And Mississippi - Patti Page
09 Sound Off - Vaughn Monroe
10 Mockin' Bird Hill - Les Paul and Mary Ford

Martin Block said "The Number One song all across America is "Too Young"
by Nat (King) Cole." Then he said "tune in next week to see what will be
number one". As a 13 year old he was talking directly to me, and I said
"yes", and I have been hooked on following the Pop and Country Hit Parade
charts ever since up through 1989, the end of The vinyl era.

I fell in love with the charts and all of the songs, and back then everyone
cared about the lyrics, and actually sang the songs. There was a monthly
magazine, HIT PARADER, that printed all the lyrics. It was a different time,
post WWII, post big bands, pre-Rock 'N Roll, the time of THE SINGERS.

Sometime later I became curious about the songs and music that came before, so I
collected every weekly BILLBOARD TOP 10 BEST SELLER Chart from the 1940s decade
from THE New York Public Library; then I made annual charts, and systematically
began collecting all those songs. So then I also adopted THE BIG BAND music as my
own.

To be continued if you have time :-)

Hit Parade